After hearing great reviews about this oyster bar we noticed there was a great brunch deal at Dock’s Oyster Bar: $23 bottomless brunch cocktails and entrée. I was beyond thrilled to try this Murray hill brunch.
The ambiance was outrageous. There was a live jazz band, beautiful bar and lovely cloth table clothes and well-dressed servers. We arrived just before noon, but once the clock stroke 12 it quickly began to fill up with an older crowd.
We were immediately served with a basket of muffins and biscuits. They were so perfectly moist and sweet that whenever we were down to just one the servers refilled our basket!
The menu looked
decent, but what really excited us what the variety of deals (versus the smaller
variety of food). The brunch options here include:
- $17 for an entrée and choice of mimosa, bloody mary or juice
- $20 for an entrée and choice of 2 mimosas, bloody mary’s or juice
- $23 unlimited brunch cocktails with your entrée!
- The eggs benedict was average – nothing special at all
- The bennie included poached eggs, Hollandaise sauce with choice of:
Canadian bacon or Irish smoked salmon. We had the bacon.
- Cajun Omelette came with pepper, onion, Andouille and crawfish
- Even though these huevos rancheros came with fried eggs, corn tortilla, black beans and tomato chili sauce it still needed extra hot sauce just to add some flavor. It was fairly bland and definitely not recommended.
- You can’t really go wrong with this meal, especially at a seafood type restaurant… but the potatoes were a downer. They were bland and a waste of space on the plate.
We were surprisingly underwhelmed by the food – everything was bland and needed extra salt, pepper or hot sauce. Perhaps we came on an “off day” because we’ve always heard positive reviews. Next time, we’ll come for the clambake instead.
Brunch Review: 2 out of 5 mimosas
Docks Oyster Bar
633 3rd Avenue (@ 40th St)
New York, NY 10017