We can’t remember how we found this place.. we’re just glad we did. A girlfriend and I decided to catch up during mid-summer and stumbled upon this restaurant hidden on 51st Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. This South African restaurant, Braai really had it all:
- Filled dining room and patio/outside seating (but not overly crowded)
- Hot wait staff
- Strong cocktails (mimosas.. aka champagne with a hint of pomegranate.. yes pomegranate and just a hint)
- Great food
- Great prices
- Great menu
The server greeted us immediately with our cocktails, jam, butter and delicious pastries. They were so sweet and moist there was no need for butter… Like most of the food it was a smaller serving size with enormous taste. The greatest thing of all was the deal: about $8-15 for your entrée and $12 all you can drink mimosas, or $12 buy one get one Peri-Peri Mary (South African style Bloody Mary).
- The side of fries were great. Served with ketchup and a dill sauce, it was a great non-greasy spin on the typically greasy side.
- Fried egg, sautéed spinach, feta and onions on a toasted English muffin. Good thing I love sautéed spinach, otherwise I may have thought it was overdone
- Yes, Ostrich Benedict. Eggs Benedict with Ostrich – it was definitely interesting and the meat was a bit more chewy than a burger, but overall it was nice to say we tried it. We will likely not order this one again but worth a try if you like to experiment with different foods and meats.
Last Call: This food and service was outrageous. The menu is phenomenal. It took us a while to figure out what to order. So there is only one solution, must try this brunch again! Especially if the cocktails stay strong and the service stays great.
Brunch Review: 4 out of 5 mimosas
329 W 51st Street
New York, New York
212 315 3315