The world didn’t end on May 21, so we celebrated with some NYC Brunch at Park Avenue Tavern! Luckily, Carly D. decided she wanted to brunch hard on Sunday (rather than the non-alcoholic brunch at Almond on Saturday) and she found this great place: Park Ave Tavern in Murray Hill. They have a great special too: $2 mimosas and half price bottles of wine and champagne at brunch.
Since there was 8 of us, we all trickled in as normal. But rather than simply waiting to be sat until our full party arrived, the bar tender began handing us complimentary mimosas. Immediately, we were in love. Once we sat, however, we noticed some rust and dirt in our waters (ew, gross). Fortunately, we learned that there were water issues in the entire building so this shouldn’t be normal. Thanks to Eugene, the manager/owner, he handed us a complimentary pitcher of mimosas.. and this INCREDIBLE brunch shot: Chilled Monkey Brains! (Some great concoction with Baileys and flavored vodka).
After the shot we proceeded to receive pitcher after pitcher of mimosas. They were okay: not great, not terrible but also not the best mix of Champagne and OJ. But the food was great:
- Hands down: Best Steak and Eggs in NYC!
- The smoked salmon was a bit bland and a little too fishy.. the bread was hard too. Not the best..
- This seafood brunch item was tasty.. but could have been better if it were warmer.
- Standard delicious omelet.
- Terrifically tasty french toast! We didn’t even need to put any syrup on this as it was already infused with the perfect amount of sugar and cream. The baked pears were a perfect touch.
Last Call: Skip the salmon but don’t miss out on the French Toast and Steak and Eggs. The food is great and mimosas are only $2 each! The service was great and manager even came by to chat with us and formally apologized for the nasty ice cubes with the brunch shots. I will definitely visit again.
Brunch Review: 3 out of 5 mimosas
99 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016